Rice Pantry's Crackling Roast Pork Belly with Fennel Apple Slaw Recipe
Dish up an Asian twist on a classic Sunday roast with this delicious recipe from Rice Pantry.
There's nothing better than crunchy, crackling, bubbly skin on a rich, succulent roast pork belly. If you're looking to bring an Asian twist to this classic Sunday roast crowd pleaser, this recipe from Rice Pantry and Head Chef and former Masterchef contestant Bryan Zhu is perfect.
This crackling roast pork belly with fennel apple slaw displays the signature distinctive flair that Rice Pantry is known for.
Crackling Roast Pork Belly with Fennel Apple Slaw: Ingredients
Roast Pork Belly Ingredients:
- 800g pork belly (Handy tip is when looking for a good pork belly roast is to find even distribution between fat and meat for a perfectly juicy mouthfeel)
- 3 tbsp shaoxing cooking wine
- 2 tbsp five spice powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1.5 cups rock salt
Apple Fennel Slaw Ingredients:
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 3 granny smith apples
- Dash of vinegar
- 1 small bunch dill, chopped
- 1 small bunch mint, chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time : 90 mins
Resting Time : 6-24 hours
Crackling Roast Pork Belly with Fennel Apple Slaw: Method
Roast Pork Belly Recipe:
- To prep the pork belly for the best roasting of its life, prick the skin lightly (but not all the way into the fat or meat) with a meat spiker - this will help dry the skin out.
- Once thoroughly pricked with holes, let the pork belly sit in the fridge for at least 6 hours, ideally overnight, on a metal cooling rack (skin side up). This will help firm up the meat whilst drying out the skin, making sure the skin can get super crispy throughout the cooking process.
- When thoroughly dried out, turn the pork belly meat side up (making sure that the skin remains dry!). Rub the shaoxing cooking wine well into the meat, and then rub generously with the dry spices.
- To prepare for roasting, pre-heat the oven to 135C.
- Using a large sheet of aluminium foil, place the pork belly skin side up on the foil. Wrap it tightly, leaving the skin exposed (like an open parcel!), then brush on white vinegar. Heap on the rock salt onto the skin, and roast for around 75 mins to 90 mins (until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 65C).
- Once the pork reaches the correct internal temperature, take out and brush off the rock salt. Don’t worry, this will turn into glorious crackling soon!
- Crank up the oven broil temperature to 230C and place back into oven for 15-25 minutes until the skin is crackling and puffed.
- Take out to rest for 10 minutes before carving for the most mouthwatering, juicy pork belly roast - serve with rice and asian greens; add an apple fennel slaw to kick things up a notch!
Apple Fennel Slaw Recipe:
- For a simple and deliciously light and refreshing salad to accompany the roast pork belly, simply slice the fennel and apples into very thin pieces (or use a mandoline on the shredding attachment).
- Soak in ice water with a dash of vinegar for 10 minutes before draining thoroughly.
- For the dressing, mix together the juices, salt, olive oil, dill and mint before tossing through the fennel and apple. Serve immediately.
The recipe serves 4-6 people and, as you'll soon find out, is absolutely delicious!
I'd love to live near