Seafood Feasting: How to Enjoy & Make the Most out of Seafood this Easter
From storage tips to the best market buys, this is how you can maximise your seafood feast this Easter long weekend.
Keen to feast on seafood delicacies this Easter? Well, we chatted with the team at Manettas Seafood Market to get the rundown on what to order this Easter, how to store it, and what can be enjoyed as leftovers, so you can get the most out of your seafood order this long weekend.
Seafood Market Update
Fish for Good Friday
The perfect seafood option for Good Friday feasting this Easter is fresh, sustainable fish. With salmon prices sky-high, high quality large sydney rock oysters in short supply, and multiple crews docked due to COVID this Easter it is important to lock in your seafood as early as possible.
White Fish is always a popular pick for Good Friday with a more elaborate feast leading into a Sunday lunch. For Good Friday we recommend some amazing whole snappers, or whole blue eye trevalla. Both fish range in size so can be used for small fillets, medium size whole fish or as a super interesting 5kg centre piece for the middle of the table.
Pacific Oysters over Easter will be the “go-to” oyster with all the flooding that has occurred in NSW affecting the quality of Sydney Rock Oysters. Lobsters are actually affordable during Easter - so we would definitely recommend looking at two species of lobsters: NSW Local Eastern Rock Lobsters and SA or Tasmanian Southern Rock Lobsters- both come in a variety of sizes, and are by far the highest quality lobsters in Australia.
Seafood Storage Tips
How to Best Store Seafood?
The ability to get your seafood a day early and store it is fine- all the products distributed will be super fresh with a long shelf life. Each product just needs to be stored correctly:
- Oysters - simply put them on a plate and cover them with a wet tea towel to maintain ultimate flavour and quality.
- Prawns are always great sitting on ice - just simply throw a very small qty of rock salt on them before serving.
- Fish will be all vacuum sealed for Easter so it will be “ready to cook” and tailored to your requested needs. Further details for each type of seafood can be seen below.
- Any frozen seafood purchased - simply let the seafood thaw over time. Pull it out of the freezer and most products will thaw within 3-4 hours at ambient temperature. This will maintain the flavour of the product, rather than being rinsed off under running tap water.
- Always make sure the seafood is covered appropriately. Place on a plate or tray and cover with a damp cloth. Then you should place some plastic wrap over the top.
- Never allow it to sit in its own juice
- Place in the coldest part of your fridge – seafood is best refrigerated at 0 – 4 degrees.
- Fresh fish: After storing correctly, eat within 2-3 days.
- Squid, cuttlefish and octopus: clean and rinse it before you store it in the fridge. Use within 2 – 3 days.
- Prawns and other dead shellfish: These should be consumed as soon as possible. If you are storing in the fridge, follow the instructions above but you can forgo the damp cloth.
- Live crustaceans: Like prawns, you should eat these ASAP after you buy them. Before consuming, keep them in a container in a cool place with a damp cloth over the top, making sure the cloth remains damp.
- Live molluscs (mussels, oysters etc.): Unlike other seafoods, store these in the warmest part of the refrigerator, optimally at 5°C. Place a damp cloth over it when storing.
How to Best Prepare Seafood?
When ordering your seafood, leave it up to the Fishmonger. At Manettas Seafood Market they can do all the preparation for you. No need to fillet, gut, or scale your fish, peel prawns or cut your lobsters and bugs. All you need to do is order online and customise your products to how you like them. Everything comes to you prepared and ready to cook and delivered to your door.
Can Seafood be Enjoyed as Leftovers?
Seafood is no different to any other leftover and it can taste just as good the next day. If you have some extra cooked king prawns then why not make up some prawn bread rolls for lunch with a spicy mayonnaise?
Lobsters and Oysters are the perfect midday or midnight snack - so definitely don’t think you can’t draw on the seafood for 5-6 days post ordering- the seafood if stored correctly and under temperature will be absolutely fine.
I'd love to live near